Thursday, May 11, 2023

Becoming Hook by Mary Mecham

From Goodreads:
A pirate, a pixie, and a plot to foil Peter Pan…

James Hook never meant to become a pirate, and never dreamed that he would turn against best friend, Peter Pan. Every adventure and eternal youth awaited them… until a pixie exposes a shocking revelation. Tinkerbell’s information forces James into acknowledging that, far from being the benevolent hero he painted himself to be, Peter Pan was kidnapping innocent children.

After accepting the traumatic loss of his hand and of the family he can barely remember, James deserts Pan. In the fight to rescue the Lost Boys, Hook will risk everything, even if that means becoming the most notorious villain in Neverland… or losing the fiery pixie who is stealing his heart.

Can the original Lost Boy vanquish Neverland’s greatest threat?

My Take: 
This was a lovely surprise. I enjoyed seeing the story from James Hook's point of view and appreciated all the nuances of a different perspective. Tinker Bell and James made a great team as they tried to rescue the lost boys from Peter Pan's devious clutches. By part three, I ached for poor James. It seemed Peter would always be a step or two ahead. 

Thoroughly enjoyable! I give Becoming Hook a solid 4 because I enjoyed it (and related to it) better than Peter Pan. 

1-5 scale and what it means: 
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad 
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing 
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive 
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love 
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading 
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read 
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

No comments: