Friday, May 20, 2016

Home Matters by Julie Ford

From Goodreads:
According to her mother, Olivia Pembroke was born to be a star. But how is she supposed to be famous when she can't even get a decent acting gig? Her lucky break comes when she lands an audition for a wildly popular home improvement show. Even though she has no design training and has never held a power tool, she refuses to let that stop her. She's confident that her destiny is finally within reach.

When her affections are torn between her heartthrob co-host and the irritating, yet somehow endearing lead contractor, does she continue to reach for the stars? Or does she design a new happily ever after? One that leads not to the fading lights of fame and fortune, but to a love that will burn forever.


My Take:
It seems I haven't read in forever although it's probably only been a month or two. I was ready for something short to get me back into things. Over the weekend my daughter and I attended a writer's conference and picked up lots of new books by the other authors.

When I saw the cover of this book I knew I had to read it. I'm addicted to HGTV and DIY Network, plus hubby and I are currently renovating our home. Throw in a sweet and clean romance and I'm all in! This is also a great example of giving an author another chance. I started reading another of her books a while back and didn't finish. The writing was good, but whether it was my current life load or something else, I put it down and didn't come back. This book held my attention from page one. I could relate and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I loved that the conflict that keeps our protags apart is something realistic. Not some over the top device because they "just can't get together yet." I could relate to Olivia. She's had her life planned out forever. She knows what her goals and expectations are, and she doesn't shift gears quickly. That's how I am. I need time to get used to a new idea. Figure out how that changes things and decide if I'm willing to do that. This is the core of what keeps her from accepting Pete too soon.

At first I thought Pete was "all in" way too easily, but that was explained well as the book progressed. Olivia looks like his dead fiance. Enough said.

Spoiler Alert (sort of):
I loved what Pete says to convince Olivia that he loves her for her and not because she reminds him of the previous girl he loved. Truly sigh worthy!

There was a typo or two--but that's me getting nit-picky so I have something to critique here. Oh, and I really wish Olivia had stuck it to William a lot worse than she did. And that I got to see it. :)

All in all I really enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting. I give Home Matters a solid 4!

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

No comments: