Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Wedding Wager by Regina Duke

From Goodreads:
Kevin Wake hates being rich. He despises everything his father stands for, but he can’t abandon his kid sister and baby brother. Their future is tied to his own. When his father threatens to rob them all of their mother’s legacy, Kevin takes bold action to protect what should be theirs.

Megan Mully is out of the hospital at last. But she’s homeless, jobless, broke and alone. Love is the last thing on her mind. Kevin is just a means to an end. She never expected him to steal her heart!

My Take:
This seems to be the "in" thing. Rich person needs to marry for some reason, finds someone who needs money to pay off bills of some sort and they fall in love for real. In that regard, you could say there were no surprises here, but Regina Duke still tells a lovely story.

At least in this one Megan and Kevin both have reservations that make the crazy situation a bit more believable. And I appreciated Duke's "fade to black" approach to taking things beyond kissing. The other endearing quality of this book is how Megan interacts with Kevin's siblings. They are kind of out there, but she accepts them and loves them for who they are in that moment--children hurting for love. I think she could relate to them more than she wanted to admit.

This was a quick, easy read, and although it was predictable, I enjoyed it. Solid 4.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

No comments: