Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Girl Who Heard Demons by Janette Rallison

From Goodreads:
Shy Adelle Hansen hears demons, but she’s determined to make friends at her new high school by keeping her ability secret.

When she overhears supernatural voices celebrating the impending death of the school quarterback, Levi Anderson, she knows she has to do something to prevent it. However, the demons aren’t the ones plotting; they’re just celebrating the chaos, and Adelle must contend with earthly forces as well if she wants to preserve Levi’s life.

Handsome, popular Levi doesn't appreciate Adelle’s self-appointed role of guardian angel. As Adelle battles to keep him safe, she’ll have to protect her heart, too. Can she do both?

My Take:
I have to admit I've had this one o my kind for a while. I think I picked it up for free by voting for it on Kindle Scout. Anyway, the only downside I can think of for this story is the fact the cover didn't seem to match the story. When I scrolled past it on my carousel, the cover didn't suck me in. I couldn't remember what the story was about so I kept scrolling.

However, when I finally opened it, the first sentence caught my attention.

"The demons came again during the night."

Ralston introduces us to Adelle quickly. The fact she is more afraid of the possibility of robbers than the whisperings of demons is interesting to say the least. I immediately had a good feel for her personality, and soon learned to feel for the direction her life had been moving.

Contrary to what you may be thinking, Adelle is quite spiritual. Even though she doesn't understand why she can hear demons, and why her efforts to help others overcome the constant destructive voices only makes her life miserable, she keeps her faith in good. Her hope that she can make a difference is what keeps her speaking up even though she knows its safer to keep quiet.

Here's another great line--"Maybe I wasn't the weird girl because of demons. Maybe I was just hopelessly awkward."

Levi might be a little on the arrogant side, but deep down he's a good guy. He's working through his own issues--a growing concern about this father and the secrets he keeps. He tries to shrug it off, but the more time he spends with Adelle the harder that becomes.

The romance is cute and different enough to feel fresh. They are drawn to each other but still try to keep things on the friend level. At least that's what they keep telling themselves they should do. Adele doesn't want a relationship with someone who thinks she's crazy. Levi just can't decide. Is she crazy or a savant? He's much more comfortable thinking she's a brilliant modern-day Sherlock Holmes than the fact she might actually hear demons taunting people.

I loved the paranormal aspect, the suspense, and the romance elements. I give this a 4.5

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

No comments: