Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Independent One by Cami Checketts

From Goodreads:
Haley Turnbow escapes to the tropical Isla del Sol for an ideal vacation with her five-year old. She doesn’t plan on the resident ghost stalking her and the island’s fine-looking owner drawing her in with his confident, fun personality.

Cal Johnson is king of his own island, happy and busy. A beautiful mom and her wild little boy flip his world upside down. He falls in love with both of them knowing they’re going to leave at the end of their vacation and he might not recover from the loss. Can these two independent adults trust their hearts or is it not worth the risk?

My Take:
Let's start with a big stupid grin.

Okay, first off, I fell in love with Taz from the first time I saw him. I mean, come on, a little boy with the nickname Tasmanian Devil is going to bring a lot of excitement to a story. Haley is a strong woman doing the best she can as a single mom. She doesn't let a past incident make her bitter, simply cautious. Yet it's clear she has so much love to give.

Cal has been looking for someone like Haley. Sweet, fun, strong while still needing him as well. Luck would have them meet right when he's ready to settle down.

Perhaps one of the things I enjoyed about this book was the suspense subplot. It isn't huge, but it's just enough to add extra depth to the characters, setting, and story.

I really didn't find anything to complain about. I give this one a solid 4.5.

 1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

No comments: