Thursday, July 7, 2016

Tenderness and Terror Boxed Set by Cami Checketts

From Goodreads:
Tenderness and Terror Boxed Set by #1 Bestselling Inspirational Romance Author, Cami Checketts

Protect This
With five female college students on the missing persons' list, and the perpetrator still at large, Natasha is nervous about dating anyone. But, it's hard to say no to Tony, the hot graduate assistant she's been drooling over all semester. Too bad she's not sure who to trust and all the men around her feel more like suspects than heroes. When Natasha gets into trouble and the man that should have been the safest...turns out to be her worst nightmare, Natasha has no choice but to fight for her life and the man she almost gave up.

Blog This
Will protecting children throughout the world cost Natasha her own family? Devastated by the loss of her brother, Natasha Senecot works to expose the dangers of Matthew Chrysler’s violent video games, succeeding in bankrupting and humiliating him.

Chrysler retaliates and sends a hit man after her. Natasha is forced to fake her own death to protect her children, but after witnessing another tragedy, Natasha won’t hide any longer.

In a race against time, can Natasha expose Matthew Chrysler before his assassin murders her family and shatters her world?
Redeem This
Some men are beyond redemption. Alex is one of them.

After Alex Chakhota was blackmailed and manipulated into becoming a hit man to protect his sister, serving time as the FBI's assassin doesn't do much to ease his conscience. His next assignment brings him face to face with Brittany, a beautiful woman that believes he's more than the killer he's been made into. The road to redemption is long for someone with a blackened soul, and with lives hanging in the balance, Alex has a short deadline.

Detective Scott Bentley's days of law enforcement are behind him. When he's asked to host agents at his secluded ranch for an FBI sting operation, Scott cannot refuse. Ivy McMahon shows up with the team, and Scott gets more than he signed up for. Not only can she hack into the any computer system, she's found a way into Scott's heart. The trouble is that she's in protective custody and when the job ends, she'll disappear. Is redemption possible for those whose lives are scarred by the past? Is redemption possible for those who lives are scarred by the past? With danger crowding close, not even love may have a chance to redeem before it's too late.

My Take:
For this review, I'm going to start with the middle full length novel in the set and then talk about the novellas on the front and end. Sorry, it's going to be a bit disjointed since I don't want too many spoilers for you, but one of them I can't help but let slip. Sorry!

Okay, I have to come clean. I read BLOG THIS when it originally came out a long time ago. It was the first book by Checketts that I didn't absolutely love. It was well written and satisfying in many ways, but I couldn't get past the fact I didn't agree with who Natasha ended up with in the end. Hold on to your seats, I'll try to do this without too many spoilers and still make a modicum of sense.

The suspense side of Blog This is amazing! Super job by Checketts. Loved that! We've got fiery red-head Natasha who isn't going to back down from a fight for anything, even after getting shot. The romance part is what fell flat for me the first time I read it. She's got three men falling for her--her cheating ex, a hot cop, and the assassin. By the end of the story I really liked two of these guys. And I have to stop there.

Fast forward to last week when I picked up the boxed set. This set contains a very short prequel (Protect This) where we get to see how Natasha and her ex-husband Tony meet. I have to say that although it was super short--almost too short--I liked Tony much better and it helped me accept the ending in Blog This much better.

Redeem This is the story I really needed. Like I said, I really felt for Scott (the cop) and Alex (the assassin). The sequel finally tells the next part of their story. It's also shorter, almost too short, but was very fulfilling for me. I love the idea of the bad guys having redeeming qualities, and I wanted to see Scott find happiness as well. Plus, Scott's a cowboy. I love cowboys. ;)

The only reason I say the stories were too short is because I love Checketts' easy writing style. She's great with the sexual tension while keeping it clean, and you can't beat her suspense!

I give the collection a 4.5 simply because I wanted the novellas stretched out into novels. :)

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

No comments: