Monday, August 1, 2016

Five Magic Spindles A collection of Sleeping Beauty stories

From Goodreads
Awaken the Magic!

Emma, a good-hearted midwife, rushes to warn a neighbor about the hired gunman headed to his ranch but can't prevent the catastrophe in store for his daughter.

Palli, the prophesied daughter of a king, is fated to rescue her people from the destruction called forth by a vengeful priest. 

Roselee, a ghost with a faulty memory, flits through the halls of an insane asylum in search of the mortal boy who can help her save the day.

Arabella, a living spirit trapped in her own comatose body, helplessly watches from the realm of dreams as her usurping cousin plots to destroy her once and for all.

Tanza, a tomb raider on a distant planet, struggles to make a living and doesn’t need a long-lost prince to complicate her difficult life.

One way or another, these beauties have no intention of sleeping away their problems.

My Take:

First, I was asked to read and review Spindle Cursed specifically. I hope to eventually get the time to read the other shorts in this anthology. However, for now, here's the review of Spindle Cursed.

Spindle Cursed (Arabella's story)
I loved the unique look at Sleeping Beauty from this angle. How can a Prince feel true love for someone he's never met? This story answers that question in a simple and yet ingenious way. The writing is clean, beautifully descriptive, and satisfying in every way. Gritty villains, a wonderfully developed fantasy world, dragons, spells, magic, humor, and sweet romance.

I give Spindle Cursed a solid 4.5. Great writing, great twist on a classic with wonderful imagery.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

No comments: