Friday, September 9, 2016

Louisiana Longshot by Jana Deleon

From Goodreads:
It was a hell of a longshot...

CIA Assassin Fortune Redding is about to undertake her most difficult mission ever--in Sinful, Louisiana.

With a leak at the CIA and a price on her head by one of the world's largest arms dealers, Fortune has to go off grid, but she never expected to be this far out of her element. Posing as a former beauty queen turned librarian in a small, bayou town seems worse than death to Fortune, but she's determined to fly below the radar until her boss finds the leak and puts the arms dealer out of play.

Unfortunately, she hasn't even unpacked a suitcase before her newly-inherited dog digs up a human bone in her backyard. Thrust into the middle of a bayou murder mystery, Fortune teams up with a couple of seemingly-sweet old ladies whose looks completely belie their hold on the little town. To top things off, the handsome local deputy is asking her too many questions. If she's not careful, this investigation may blow her cover and get her killed.

Armed with her considerable skills and a group of old ladies referred to by locals as The Geritol Mafia, Fortune has no choice but to solve the murder before it's too late.

My Take:
First off, I've read this one two or three times. That's how much I love it. It's a fast-paced hilarious ride! Seriously, not a ton of romance in this first book in the series, but there is some simmering potential. I'm hoping it has a chance to blossom in the next books.

So you may be wondering why I'm posting this on my clean romance blog. Well, sometimes I need a light-hearted read full of suspense and the utterly ridiculous. This book was just too fun not to share!

What I really love is the Geritol Mafia. These gals are funnier than any crazy group of women I've ever seen. It doesn't take long before you realize Fortune fits in with them better than anywhere else she ever has. These ladies introduce Fortune to Sinful by telling her to bring her running shoes to church. Then there are the alligators, the secrets, and menthol. You'll just have to read!

Fortune is a hoot. No matter how hard she tries, she just can't lay low. I mean, the whole reason she has to go into hiding is because the guy she was investigating ticked her off and she killed him with her stiletto. My favorite scene is when she sneaks into the deputy's yard and leaves a few pieces of weave behind. Or maybe it's the one where Ida Bell and Fortune get pulled over by Deputy LeBlanc and Fortune is only wearing a garbage bag.

Are you curious yet?

I give Louisiana Longshot a solid 5 because I have read it multiple times, and will read it again. I'm waiting for my reading pile to shrink so I can buy the next few books in the series.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

No comments: