Monday, October 24, 2016

The Trouble with Flying by Rachel Morgan

From Goodreads
Sarah doesn’t talk to strangers. Aiden won’t shut up. When they find themselves next to each other on a plane, unexpected sparks begin to fly …

Sarah doesn’t talk to strangers. It’s awkward, stressful, and there’s the uncontrollable blushing to worry about. When she boards a plane to fly home after an overseas holiday, she plans to stick her nose in a book and ignore everyone around her.

Aiden’s terrified of flying, and it’s his first time on a plane. If he can distract himself by talking non-stop for the entire flight, he will. Too bad for Sarah he’s sitting right next to her.

Against all Sarah’s expectations, she ends up enjoying Aiden’s company. They laugh, argue, concoct stories about other passengers, and accidentally hold hands during the turbulence. When the time comes to say goodbye, Sarah can’t help the crazy thought that she shouldn’t let Aiden go.

Then he kisses her.

And then he’s gone.

With her world turning upside down in more ways than one, Sarah has to make a decision: stick with the safe, predictable life that’s been mapped out for her, or find the courage to go after what she truly wants.

My Take:
Oh, this was fun for me. I guess I've been in the mood for something different because here is another book set in another country. Sarah is from South Africa and Aiden is from England. I loved the little things that were so NOT American. It was refreshing for me. I should mention that my husband spent two years in South Africa and so there were things that I recognized from his stories. It made me a bit nostalgic for our younger days.

I really connected with Sarah and her problem. She is a people pleaser, a co-dependent personality who avoids conflict and confrontation at all costs but she doesn't realize it. She thinks she's shy. I'm the same, but manifest it in different ways than Sarah does. Every time I saw her interact with her boyfriend Matt, I want to slap her and say "wake up and look at what's going on!" You see it's easier for me to see the problem in other people. When her friends do basically just that I cheered. And I totally understood why Sarah ran from her friends hurt and angry. Learning you're a doormat is hard to accept.

Aiden is good for Sarah from the beginning. He sees her. For the first time in a long time she can be herself. Actually learn who she is and what she wants. He pushes her to be better. It takes a long time for Sarah to come to grips with who she is and what she wants out of life. I love that she has to make changes on all levels to show her growth--starting with her parents, then Matt, and finally she has room to let Aiden in.

I give The Trouble with Flying a 4.5 for tackling the subject with such realism.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

No comments: