Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Cupcakes and Cowboys by Lindzee Armstrong

From Goodreads:
Cassidy wants two things-to make her cupcake shop a success, and to forget the ex-fiance who traded her for the lights of Hollywood. She can't stand actors, movies, or anything resembling the guy who ruined her life. So when Jase-best friend of her ex and A-list actor-shows up at the ranch to research an upcoming role, ignoring her past becomes impossible.

Jase is desperate to escape Hollywood, and ranch life gives him a temporary reprieve. But ranching is starting to feel less like preparing for a role and more like the life he's always wanted. And he can't help envisioning Cassidy as his co-star. Can Jase convince this stunning cupcake shop owner that he's really a country boy at heart?

My Take:
This was a fun fast read. I liked Cassidy from the very beginning and felt her pain and shock at having Jase show up at her home. I felt like the initial misunderstanding made sense, and I was glad that once Jase understood why Cassidy was hostile to him he took the steps to remedy it by talking to her. So many times, romances create conflict simply by having the characters NOT talk to each other. Thank you Lindzee for not following the crowd in that respect!

The story flows nicely, although it could have easily been made longer by showing more of their "dating" moments instead of speeding us through the month. The only other thing on my wish list for this story came near the end. When Drew showed up and opened his mouth, I really needed Jase to deck him really good.

I give this lovely short a solid 4.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

No comments: