Monday, March 6, 2017

The Reclusive Billionaire by Lucy McConnell

From Goodreads:
Lucas Scott, a world-renowned microbiologist, is desperate to find a cure for the butterfly flu before it spreads. Hounded by the media, he escapes to his houseboat in Santa Barbara where he meets a vivacious veterinarian with a penchant for taking in strays. While he searches for the key to unlocking the butterfly flu, Becca somehow unlocks his analytical heart.

Becca Lee isn't impressed with her new neighbor. His clothes are constantly wrinkled and he's grumpier than a cat with digestive problems. However, Luke isn't easy to brush off. He's always around, has a magnificent mind, and is full of surprises. But, what she can't figure out is why her instincts tell her to trust this rouge billionaire. It doesn't take long to realize he is the only one alive who can save the world and Becca has to make a choice--open her heart or watch Luke sail off into the sunset.

My Take:
This story went by fast. I don't know if it was shortish, or if I just flew through it. Anyway, I really like Becca and her love of animals. She seems to get along with them better than people at times, but everyone loves her. Luke takes a bit to get to know. He's hurting and hiding, but Becca is just what he needs. It's sweet that Big Red sort of breaks down Luke's defenses enough for him to let Becca in too. And Becca? Smart, loyal, forgiving and willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I loved that she's the one to help Luke's brilliant mind latch onto the one thing he was missing.

I will say that I didn't buy the end of the world because of some weird flu that was spreading. It's possible, but I didn't feel the peril of it breathing down my neck in the story. Other than that, cute romance with a little more pain and healing behind the heart.

I give this a clean 4.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

Movie Ratings in relation to my review:
Clean--Hallmark movies, some kissing, no nudity, no sex on or off "screen"
PG--Some innuendo but nothing kids don't hear every day, sex is all closed door
PG-13--some language (swear words not related to sex), more talk about sex, heavy petting, removal of clothing on screen, but sex is closed door.
R--swearing (can be related to sex), feels like the whole story is about the sex and not the relationship or some other plot

No comments: