Sunday, June 12, 2022

The Wedding Cake Tree by Melanie Hudson

From Goodreads:

Can a mother’s secret past provide the answers for a daughter’s future?

Celebrity photographer Grace Buchanan has always known that, one day, she’d swap her manic day job for the peace and quiet of her beloved childhood cottage, St Christopher’s – she just didn’t expect it to be so soon. At the reading of her mother’s will, she’s shocked to learn that she hardly knew Rosamund at all, and that inheriting St Christopher’s hangs on one big – and very inconvenient – condition: Grace must drop everything for two weeks and travel the country with a mysterious stranger – war-weary Royal Marine, Alasdair Finn. Caught in a brief but perfect moment in time, Grace and Alasdair walk in Rosamund’s footsteps and read her letters at each breathtaking new place. As Grace slowly uncovers the truth about her mother’s incredible life story, Alasdair and Grace can’t help but question their own futures. Will Rosamund’s madcap scheme go to plan or will events take an unexpected turn?

An emotional, fun-filled journey of a lifetime.

My Take:

This was an okay book. It felt more like a travelogue to all these locations than a romance. There is a lot of detail about every stop. What every hill, tree, cottage/hotel, and sky looks like. It's weird, but even though they go to all these places to learn about the dead mother's life, I don't feel like anything really happened. I never felt connected to the characters and didn't feel their connection to each other so the romance felt forced. 

Maybe it was just my mood the week I read it? It was well written, maybe more women's fiction than I expected? Anyway, I find that a month after reading the only thing I remember about the story is that the sky looked different in every place they went to and their reason for splitting up made me mad. 

I'll still give it 3 - 3.5 stars. And sorry to my followers that need the heat rating, but I honestly don't remember if there was language or scenes. See, forgettable.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

Movie Ratings in relation to my review:

Clean--Hallmark movies, some kissing, no nudity, no intimacy on or off "screen"
PG--Some innuendo but nothing kids don't hear every day, intimacy is all closed door
PG-13--some language (swear words not related to intimacy), more talk about intimacy, heavy petting, removal of clothing on screen, but intimacy is closed door.
PG-14—somewhere between PG-13 and R. Not erotica, but at least a paragraph of on-screen intimacy
R--swearing (F-bomb, on “screen” intimacy, sometimes feels like the whole story is about the intimacy and not the relationship or some other plot, but not always

No comments: